Insurance coverage is never a fun topic of discussion. Despite the fact that none of us want to think about getting hurt, accidents do occasionally happen. For athletes participating in riskier physical endeavors, the odds of getting injured are even higher. Individuals participating in these high-risk sports inevitably suffer injuries from time to time. For those wishing to protect themselves from mounting medical bills, extreme sports insurance is an excellent option to consider.
What Exactly is Extreme Sports Insurance?
Extreme sports insurance is precisely what its name implies. ESI covers a whole range of sports and related injuries. Some major extreme sports insurance providers even offer coverage for day-to-day injuries as well, including broken bones or sprains that happen at home or work. These providers generally offer supplemental insurance plans that cover injuries and expenses above and beyond that covered by standard health insurance plans. With extreme sports insurance, athletes ensure that they’ll have more comprehensive coverage if an accident does occur. Such coverage provides athletes with a sense of reassurance that an injury will not result in a devastating financial burden.
What Kinds of Athletes Should Consider Extreme Sports Coverage?
Extreme sports coverage is available for athletes participating in almost any sport. Some insurance providers offer the coverage to non-athletes as well. Though all athletes may benefit from ESI, these sports in particular are particularly suitable for coverage:
- Skiing, Snowboarding, and other winter sports
- Ice Hockey
- Wresting, boxing, and MMA fighting
- BMX, motocross, and mountain biking
- Skateboarding, longboarding, and related sports
- Other extreme sports
More standard sports such as soccer, baseball, and basketball are covered as well. According to NHS Choices, a number of sports injuries can occur from these sports, too. Most ESI providers offer a broad range of coverage. It is likely that you will be able to obtain coverage regardless of your chosen sport.
Benefits of Having Extreme Sports Insurance Coverage
There are a number of significant benefits to acquiring extreme sports insurance. Purchasing sports-related insurance is a smart decision for athletes seriously involved in their sport. According to statistics acquired by sports insurance companies, nearly 2 million individuals are injured each year as a result of their athletic endeavors. These injuries are often only minimally covered by standard health insurance policies. Without extreme sports insurance, daredevil adventurers and athletes might find themselves struggling to pay off thousands of dollars in medical bill debt. ESI policies, which can often be acquired for a fraction of this price, can help save athletes from the crushing burden of expensive medical treatment.
Good extreme sports insurance providers will also offer you a fair insurance plan. Most providers ensure that your rates will never rise, even if you sustain an injury. Some providers even offer cash directly to sufferers, allowing them to pay their bills, purchase groceries, and cover their day-to-day needs while recovering. With a reliable ESI provider, you will be covered 24/7 and receive the treatment you deserve.
Things to Look for in an Extreme Sports Insurance Provider
Before settling on an extreme sports insurance provider, be sure to consider the following:
- Is this provider licensed in your state? Some ESI providers only cover certain geographic areas. Be sure that your state is covered by the insurance provider. If you participate in extreme sports abroad, be sure that the provider covers international injuries as well.
- Find a straight-forward and honest ESI provider. Run a background check on the company to ensure that other customers have had good experiences with the provider. If possible, find a provider that offers contract-free plans with no deductibles.
- Seek a plan that fits your activity level and budget. If you’re a student, look for a simple and affordable insurance plan. Professional extreme athletes ought to look into more comprehensive coverage options. Find a plan that truly suits your needs.
- Understand the “fine print.” Some ESI providers are more straight-forward than others. Be sure you fully comprehend a policy before making a final purchase. Policies often cover only a certain range of treatments and may require that your medical treatment take place within a particular time-frame. Providers almost never cover pre-existing injuries. Take your time to thoroughly consider the provider’s insurance policies.
Though extreme sports insurance isn’t for everyone, devoted athletes may want to consider purchasing such policies. By making smart decisions today, athletes and adventurers can save themselves a lot of time, effort, and money in the future.