07Dec

If you ever thought about getting into the teaching industry, check out this cool graphic from Teacher Salary Info. It gives a good break down of all the numbers behind the job. Lets hope that you’re getting into it to better the youth though, and that money doesn’t play much into it. That being said, our teachers should definitely get paid what they’re worth…and that’s a whole lot!

Via: Teacher Salary Info

Embed this Image on Your Site:

• jack says:

a good perceptive article.

• King James the III says:

Dude, if that infographic was gay, it would totally suck balls.

• Sromobazar says:

Nicely done by American Teacher..

• flamoir says:

Nice comparison. Bottom conclusion that more money doesn't improve student scores is unsupported. It appears true that more money to bureaucracy on a level above teachers doesn't help much. What we haven't tried is directly rewarding students on a large scale (which is proven to work on a small scale) or paying teachers like they do in Korea. Its more accurate to say more money utilized in the same manner helps little.

• Eversor says:

Now why don't you do an infographic that compares teaching in the US to other careers. $44k a year vs the average $38k US job, but with summers off, still getting paid! Sounds like a pretty sweet gig, considering some students graduating high school aren't even literate.

• Amador says:

"Summers off". I'm sick of reading stuff like this. Teachers (and that includes college teachers) don't have summers off. They still do research and service work. Most of the work that education professionals is behind the classroom scene.

Why don't you compare the average profession to a teacher's job that often involves working on weekends to prepare class session, grading material, paying supplies with your own money, and giving personal time to extracurriculars?

• PayOK says:

Salaries are based on 10 months and then divided up into 12 months. Teachers are not getting paid to have summer vacation. Teachers just have their salary divided up to better budget during the year.

• Shirley says:

Back in the day, teachers of ANY kind had a degree in the subject they taught. Today they have 'Education degrees' which basically means they can read from the book to the students. Let teachers work 2,000 hours like real people and produce a educated populace. Failing that, they should learn how to ask, "Would you like fries with that?"

• Jason says:

Under NCLB, it is becoming increasingly rare to find a teacher who does not have a degree in their own subject AND not pass the mastery exam(s) for the subject. Additionally, most teachers who have 'Education degrees' earn them after they begin their teaching career.

As for the failing rates of students. I have tutored children in one part of the city, currently teach at a high school in another part of the same, and present as a lecturer at the university level – all regarding the same subject level and to the same age groups. I've taught Calculus and Statistics to these audiences in similar fashions, with very little differences and the results could not be further apart from each other. I'll have students who have no teacher at their local school teach them the material pass the AP exam just based on their own efforts and the lectures I give once a month. At the same time, I'll have students I've taught daily, pulled in for tutoring after-school, Saturday, and on holidays for over 300 hours fail the same exam. We need to be serious here: it isn't just a matter of time or effort the teacher puts in. The parents, siblings, family, and everyone who has anything to do with the child has an incredible impact on that child well before they enter school at age 4. Put in a child who has been taught how to count, read, or sing, and that child will have a tremendous lead over their non-exposed counterparts.

As a teacher, I can only raise the student's level of understanding the material starting from when they enter my class. I take no credit for a child who succeeds and goes off to college – the parents did an excellent job. They entered my class with a strong understanding and I could move them up a level with ease. However, when the typical child comes into school afraid of fractions, skips all the problems with decimals, and parents do the math for them instead of having the child think, my job is much different. Besides getting the student to the next level, I have to consider and work with the student to get him/her just up to the prerequisite level of my course.

I will continue to teach my students the same way I have taught graduates who are now at Harvard, Princeton, UCLA, and Cal. It has worked for them just as much it has not worked for their classmates who ask, "would you like fries with that?" I just ask that all parents and individuals working with young children to spend time and love nurturing the youth so that if and when I have them, I can tell you that you have done a wonderful job and not have you tell me that I'm a horrible teacher.

• Amador says:

I'm not convinced there is no link between spending and achievement. While there's been an increase in spending, most of the money has gone to top administrators, facilities and athletics. I wouldn't be surprised if the money dedicated to instruction had actually diminished.

• Tom says:

How do the retirement benefits stack up? Are the teachers taking a pay-cut early in their careers in order to have more benefits later? I'd like to see that info-graph!

• Derek says:

Teachers are not underpayed. They work 1080 hrs/year which is the equivalent of 27 weeks. A salary of $44,000/year seems like shit pay, but not bad for just over a half years work. 27/52=.675 years work. $44,000/.675 is about $65,000. So teachers are receiving a salary at a rate of $65,000/year which is not bad at all. Maybe they should just find another job for the other 25 weeks of the year?

• Bobbi says:

The word is 'underpaid' and your math composition doesn't compute. You pretty much have made the point here.

• Danny says:

Where did this article obtain the "1080 hours/year" figure? As a student teacher, I have to record the hours I have worked, and I have logged in nearly 800 hours (conservatively) in one semester. You have to make the distinction between teaching, lesson planning, and the other duties that comprise the work a teacher does.

• Chris says:

Comparing the education department budget to the defense budget is not a realistic comparison. For one thing, national defense is a federal responsibility called for in the Constitution where education is not. Compare it to other departments like the Interior ($12.04 Billion in 2011) and it will seem like a huge number.