01Aug

Peace

posted by:

I don’t wish to offend anyone with this picture, but the kid I’m sure means no harm by it. While everyone else is knelt towards Mecca during their Salaat prayer reciting the Iqama, this cute kid (maybe 10-years old or so) is giving the international symbol of peace. Bless his heart.

• ladaghini says:

Just wanted to make a correction.

"While everyone else is knelt towards Mecca during their Salaat prayer reciting the Iqama…"

In the photo, the Muslims are prostrating (called sujud in Arabic) and in this position, they make (if they know the importance of this part of the prayer) supplications to God.

The Iqama is the second call to prayer recited right before the prayer begins.

• jin says:

amazing photo, send it into NatGeo! full source?

• hano says:

Why would anyone be offended by this picture? I'm a Muslim and if anyone is offended by such pictures they can go to hell, you don't need to be overly sensitive to grumpy people.

Thanks for posting.

• Joe Schmoe says:

Smart kid. He obviously realizes that everything that is happening behind him is a crock of shit.

• yurina says:

i like this photo.

peace in the world

• Ian says:

He'll probably be stoned to death for frivolity.

• Jo Dean says:

Wow that makes a lot of sense dude.

Lou

• Gab says:

FYI It's not the sign for peace but for victory. At his age he probably doesn't know that and probably think it's just cool to do it. Still a nice picture.

• Gab says:

My Bad it means peace too.

• james says:

Am I the only one who is creeped out by this kids face?

• bogdan says:

@joe schmoe: man don't be an asshole. please respect the freedom of religion. that kid is very cute indeed and probably he knows that the future will only exist if it will be peace. so God bless him.

• thanatos667 says:

Wow I'm not Muslim, I'm white and atheist and even I'm offended by your racism. People like you only add to the conflict. I'm not one to defend religion, but seriously respect their faith.

• joe says:

Peace signs… or Nixon's sign for victory? Tune into Fox News at 10 for the made up story!

• Cicero says:

What is often considered the peace sign in the Americas, Europe, Asian and the Pacific Rim, is often in the Middle East considered the sign for victory. Consequently, we as the audience will never know what the boy meant by holding his hand up with his index and middle fingers extended.

• Jeremy says:

Before I reply to some comments, I would just like to say that I agree with you guys about the heart of the issue (I feel joe schmoe is being a jackass too), but I feel the need to make a few… corrections, I suppose.

@bogdan: Unfortunately, not every country has the freedom of/from religion. We in America are lucky to, but as there is no location given in this picture, we cannot assume that they do have a freedom of/from religion. Also, while he was being an idiot, joe schmoe is exercising another freedom we have, freedom of speech. We can disagree with what he's saying, but he still has the right to say it.

@thanatos667: As far as I'm aware, there is no racism involved in joe's comment. He's being obnoxious, yes, and more than a bit insensitive towards Muslims, and theists in general, but Islam isn't a race. Just thought I would point that out.

• peace13 says:

May be he is posing just in front of camera as most of the kids do!