07May

Who doesn’t love bacon? Even pigs love bacon and so do vegetarians. There really is nothing not to like about bacon, with it’s crispy, salty, fatty deliciousness. It can be added to almost anything to enhance the flavor of an otherwise bland dish. Here are a few facts about the amazing wonder that is sliced pork belly.

….bacon is a great way to start the day…but if you’re a manly man this is how you need to fuel up.

• Fact: the bacon on sandwiches at McDonald's has 18 different ingredients!

Mmmmmmmm.

• russ says:

how is US bacon different to UK bacon? In the US I get served little strips of crispy bacon. In the UK you get big "rashers", two would be enought with breakfast. Is it from the same part of the pig? Does anyone in the US have "UK-style" bacon? (or vice versa..)

• wide says:

I've been a vegetarian for 10 years this June and bacon is the only meat that still smells good. I loved meat when I gave it up, but over time it just starts to smell less and less appealing. Except bacon. At least morning star bacon, cooked properly, is tasty and good ground up in things like quiche.

• Sarah says:

You know what's SUPER awesome about bacon? How about the fact that the pig farming industry is one of the ecologically efficient and polluting industries in the entire country? How about the fact that 95% of pork products come from factory farmed pigs that are crammed in tiny pens, forced to live in their own excrement. How about the fact female pigs are artificially cycled after each birth to make sure they continue having babies their entire lives? Or how the fact that about 120 piglets each day, according to a Smithfield worker, are "thumped" onto the floor of the plants and left to die because they're not quite growing fast enough?

It is your right to eat bacon. I'm not the kind of vegetarian who is going to look down on you for you meat selection. But, if you're going to post an infographic about how awesome bacon is, without including any information about the pig farming industry is actually like, than I'm gonna feel the need to say something.

• terdf says:

OMG GIVE IT A REST! Whats next? Carrot rights? Potatos have feelings too? Good greif its a CROP that happens to breathe, now go build a bridge and get over it!

• Kate says:

If u hate this so much then why were you looking at a page called 20 awesome facts about bacon? I'm a vegetarian too but I don't post things like this, and your post makes you sound like an idiot.

• Zach says:

Sarah, welcome to the world that animal husbandry gave us. If you don't like the way we treat livestock, go live in a cave and stop criticising a civilization that has given you so much.

• Andy says:

At sarah I see were you are coming from, and it is wrong to treat animals this way, they should be able to live 'reasonably' comfortable lifes before they are slaughtered humanely. By the way I love bacon but rarely have the chance to eat it ecspecially in the mornings, also what do you mean by the pigs are thumped to the ground is this a way of killing them?.

• Sarah (#2) says:

I think that the majority of pig farmers treat their animals well and are concerned about keeping the environment clean, too. I read that 98% of farms are still family owned and operated. It would be a shame to criticize those hard working people. I also found this video on Youtube that shows a farmer caring for her pigs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjHJA3k218s

• Rick says:

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

• Willy Brown Balls says:

In Ireland we eat black pudding which is dried pigs blood, very tasty. Absolutely nothing is wasted, apart from maybe the hoofs but there might be a use for them too. As for all you vegetarians out there, what do you think your canine teeth are for you wussies? Get some meat in you apart from the cock and get healthy!